Current Job Openings
About Habitat for Humanity of Orange County
Habitat for Humanity of Orange County (HHOC) is a non-profit organization that offers the opportunity for low-income Orange County families to purchase affordable homes. Since 1984, HHOC has built more than 250 homes locally and funded more than 170 homes internationally. HHOC is the local affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International.
The Communications Manager is a member of the Development Team and actively collaborates with Construction and Family Services. This is a full time position, averaging 40 hours per week. The workweek is typically Monday to Friday. Work outside normal business hours, including weekends, is expected to accommodate our volunteers and partners.
In collaboration with the Director of Development, the Communications Manager will carry out the Habitat mission by advancing organizational goals through communications and marketing strategies. Activities and strategies will support all departments and affiliate functions.
The responsibilities of the Communications Manager include, but are not limited to:
Online Communications and Social Media
- Develop and manage dynamic content for the organization's website, including regular updates to ensure accuracy and timeliness of information
- Create content and design for monthly E-Newsletter
- Create and implement a comprehensive social media communications plan
- Strengthen and expand the organization's virtual presence by developing, scheduling, and evaluating new media efforts
- Keep up to date list on important social media handles for partners, key donors, etc.
- Building strong relationships with partners including finding ways to co-promote our organizations
- Monitor social media for posts about HHOC, affordable housing or other related topics
- Organize community members to act as "ambassadors"
Writing and Graphic Design
- Responsible for all marketing collateral materials and activities such as brochures, displays, presentations, website, audio and video products, special events
- Work with Director of Development to create fundraising appeal letters
- Update acknowledgment and thank you letters for a variety of donors and programs
- Assist with the writing and production of newsletters and annual report
- In conjunction with Development Associate, coordinate printing and mailing of direct mail campaigns and newsletters
- Conduct press outreach to pitch stories, maximize media coverage, and enhance Habitat's visibility in the community
- Monitor print and TV media for interesting connections to HHOC
- Draft press materials including press releases and media advisories
- Maintain and update media contact list
- Collect and maintain media clippings archive
- Respond to all circumstances and situations with respect, integrity, and composure when representing HHOC or managing PR issues
- Develop and implement an annual communications plan for the affiliate
- Create an internal strategy to increase story-telling efforts throughout the organization
- Represent or coordinate representatives of Habitat for Humanity of Orange County at events and on camera as needed
- Visit active construction sites to photograph volunteers and partners (as required but a minimum of weekly)
- Create system of organization for maintaining photographs in an easily accessible way
- Ensure that messaging of all communications and marketing materials are in strategic alignment
- A strong belief in the organization's mission and vision
- Advanced working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of print, audio and video production methods
- Exceptional story-teller and writer
- Detail-oriented, with strong planning skills
- Initiative and independence in carrying out responsibilities
- Excellent organization skills with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and a variety of demands
- Strong self-motivation and the ability to work as a team member
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, both written and oral, which transcend diverse audiences
- Problem solving capabilities with a demonstrated dedication to the mission of Habitat
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a related field
- Two years of relevant experience with graphic design, marketing and/or communications
- Two years experience in a non-profit organization is highly desired
- Familiarity with non-profit organizations and fundraising techniques
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Use subject line: Communications Manager Position. Applications will be accepted through June 3, 2015.
Habitat for Humanity of Orange County is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve and National Guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.