Current Job Openings
Volunteer and Youth Programs Coordinator
Habitat for Humanity of Orange County
Application Due: August 8, 2014
The Volunteer and Youth Programs Coordinator reports to the Partnership and Volunteer Manager, is a member of the Development team, and actively collaborates with Construction and Family Services. This is a full-time position, averaging 40 hours per week. The work week is typically Tuesday-Saturday, to accommodate Habitat's volunteer groups. Work outside normal business hours is expected.
Overview: In collaboration with the Partnership and Volunteer Manager, identify, coordinate, recruit, and steward volunteers to maximize Habitat's capacity to carry out its mission. Coordinate ongoing, dynamic youth and collegiate programs by engaging individuals and student groups in the mission of Habitat.
The responsibilities of the Volunteer and Youth Programs Coordinator include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the primary coordinator for all Habitat volunteers;
- Provide welcoming, solution-oriented personal responses to individuals and groups with interest in becoming Habitat volunteers;
- Collaborate with other Habitat staff to develop menu of volunteer opportunities in construction, non-construction, special events, and at the ReStore, with the goal of extending affiliate capacity;
- Actively seek new volunteers with general and specialized skills to support the mission of Habitat and fulfill organizational needs;
- Serve as primary liaison to Volunteer Coordinator at Habitat ReStore;
- Manage volunteer pool to ensure adequate volunteers are available to serve in needed positions;
- Conduct orientation, training, and when appropriate, supervise individual and partnership volunteers.
In collaboration with Partnership and Volunteer Manager, develop and implement partnership/volunteer hospitality and stewardship process, including:
- Consistent presence on the construction site to greet and register construction and lunch volunteers, facilitate family/partner relations, and assist Construction staff as appropriate;
- Prompt follow-up with volunteers to foster ongoing relationships;
- Appropriate acknowledgement and recognition of volunteers and their contributions in multiple ways such as email, social media, appreciation events, etc.
Youth Programs Coordination
- Identify and recruit motivated student members of various organizations and clubs, including but not limited to Youth United, UNC fraternity brothers, and UNC Habitat Campus Chapter;
- Serve as the affiliate liaison for all youth and collegiate groups and programs;
- Creatively engage new groups to expand ongoing programs;
- Coordinate volunteer opportunities for various youth groups and programs;
- Oversee strategy and success of fundraising events throughout the year;
- Represent Habitat at meetings and events as needed;
- Provide ongoing support to schools and teachers participating in service-learning or curriculum-based Habitat programs;
- Look for opportunities to increase awareness of Habitat's programs within the various school systems.
- Provide prompt follow-up to volunteers in order to foster positive ongoing relationships;
- Coordinate organizational meetings and volunteer-centered communication processes;
- Collaborate with Development team to renew and secure letters of intent and volunteer commitments from partnerships;
- Ensure that youth volunteers working with the organization are in compliance with national and state labor laws;
- Develop innovative strategies to ensure sustainability and long-term success within youth and collegiate partner groups.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and 1-2 years of relevant experience;
- Advanced working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office;
- Detail-oriented with strong planning skills;
- Initiative and independence in carrying out responsibilities;
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and a variety of demands;
- Strong self-motivation and the ability to work as a team member;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation, and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution;
- Strong interest in working actively with volunteers to engage individuals and groups in meaningful service;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills, both written and oral, which transcend diverse audiences; also must be comfortable speaking in front of groups;
- Problem-solving capabilities with a demonstrated dedication to the mission of Habitat.
Send a cover letter and resume to Jennifer Player, Director of Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org with "Volunteer and Youth Programs Coordinator" in the subject line. Emailed applications will be accepted through August 8, 2014. No calls please.
Habitat for Humanity of Orange County is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve and National Guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.